Monday, February 22, 2010

Yosef, reveal your light

I must preface my new song with the following introduction. It is a very delicate decision for me to place the song here, especially since I plan on using it in the very near future on a professional musical album. I ask that if you choose to encourage others to hear it, you link to this site, and not put it on any other sites. I hope I am not being unwise by placing it in a public place, but rather that my request will be respected. I hope to be able to do similar types of posts in the future, if all goes well.

The story behind the song is that I recently played at the Bar-Mitzvah of R' Daniel Krentzman's brother-in-law, and after the simcha was over, we were talking, as usual, about exciting Torah topics. In the course of the conversation, he made a request of me to write a song about Moshiach ben Yosef. I initially balked at the idea. The concept is virtually unknown in the Jewish world. How could I write a song about the idea, without it being a total turn off? I told him that if it would be done, it would need to be done very subtly, perhaps interwoven into the story of Yosef.

The result of that conversation was the song that follows. The theme of the song is the story of Yosef, and the underlying theme of Moshiach ben Yosef could easily be overlooked by those not familiar with the concept. I hope to include it in an album I am producing in the near future, and to also give a brief explanation in the cover about the concept of Moshiach ben Yosef, giving people a little taste of that 'hidden light.'

Please click here to hear the song.

A heavenly light shone upon his mind
Revealing the path that he was to find.
The dreams that he dreamt, reflected this glow
He knew of his mission, his God-given role.

A guide he would be, for his nation's first growth
They'd bow to his wisdom, embracing his hope
In all that would be, he'd show them the hand
Of Hashem's guiding love, the bright future He planned.

Yosef, one day the world will know
Your dreams will be fulfilled and your heart will overflow
Yosef, you'll teach all of mankind
Reveal that secret light, let it shine for all time

So young at that time, the vision he'd share
Arousing such hatred, his brothers would dare
To send him away, left only to fate
But he'd never allow his heart to wallow in hate

Wherever he'd go, Hashem's name was on his tongue
Success somehow followed every deed that was done
Each challenge he'd face with an unswerving faith
'Til the day he was freed, to prominence raised

When their paths crossed again, the brothers seemed blind
To him it was clear that it now was the time
To cleverly guide and help them reclaim
The greatness inside, have it fanned to a flame

They stood, as a wall, 'round their father's last son
They'd accomplished the goal, now they'd all join as one
Their betrayal and shame, he dismissed out of hand
It was all but a part of Hashem's masterplan.

3 comments:

Ari Goldwag said...

thanks for the positive feedback. I am not familiar with 'Yosef Shpiel.' Where can I find out about it?

Anonymous said...

My little Yosef is six weeks old. I sing this song to him several times a day. Especially when I rock him to sleep. I cried the first time I listened to it. Thank you for such a beautiful meaningful song

Ari Goldwag said...

thank you for your kind words. May your Yosef give you lots of yiddishe nachas!